Families tend to spend a great deal of time and effort researching and understanding pregnancy and childbirth. It is less common, however, for families to plan for the day-to-day reality of a new baby coming home after the birth and how their new, larger family will function. This is similar to couples who may spend a year or two planning the perfect wedding only to realize they haven’t thought very much about the realities of marriage.
Within the context of meeting your needs and the needs of your new baby, every member of your family will undergo a tremendous role transition.
As roles shift, so will responsibilities. Some responsibilities will only shift during the postpartum period, and some may undergo more long-term changes.
In this short course, expectant parents will work with Kate to create, in essence, a strategic plan for their growing family including identifying core values, creating a realistic schedule, practicing effective communication, and mapping familial needs, expectations, and responsibilities during what can be a uniquely challenging – and joyous – period.
Topics covered include:
- Mother and baby care in the hospital
- Fundamental needs and self-care of parents
- Building a solid social support system
- Parental leave
- Postpartum parenting: Responsibilities and division of labor
- Siblings: Preparing older children for a new baby
- Schedules: How to create balanced, fair schedules
- Communication: Assertive communication and validation
This course comprises three one-hour sessions with both mom and her current partner.
The MamaWise Covid Primer
As we face the first global pandemic in this century we are presented with new and significant challenges and stressors. Having a child during this time, understandably brings a combination of fears and stressors. We have been asked to let go of many social traditions leading up to having a child and to replace them with social distancing and isolation. It’s important to remember you are not alone, and that all your emotions are valid.
MamaWise has developed The Covid Primer program and have added it to all our current courses to help you manage the stressors associated with becoming a mother or parent and parenting during the Covid-19 Global Pandemic in a safe and comfortable way through:
- Co-creating a covid-friendly birth plan with expectant moms
- Providing guidance on setting safe and realistic boundaries with family and friends to maintain safe social distancing for mom/parent and baby during pregnancy and the postpartum period
- Always providing up-to-date recommendations for pregnant women and infants from the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Providing updated local hospital policies regarding visitation, mask usage, and quarantine policies