Details of the Wise Mothers & Babies Course
The Wise Mothers and Babies course focuses on teaching expectant and new moms concrete strategies to help manage stress, improve mood, and foster a strong foundation of emotional health for mom and baby alike.
This course covers:
- Fostering a healthy bond with your baby
- Infant soothing strategies and the fundamentals of family sleep hygiene
- Maternal development across the lifespan
- Infant and child development
- Healthy communication with your child(ren) and partner
- Techniques and activities to help your baby learn
- Building and maintaining social support that works for you
- Ways to manage life stress to improve your mood so you can feel better and enjoy life. This includes mindfulness training and meditation techniques
- Teaching your baby how to manage stress as he or she grows up to help avoid mood problems such as depression
Parents are their children’s first, and arguably, most important teacher supporting their growth and teaching them to walk, talk, eat, and play. The Wise Mothers and Babies course will also show you how to teach your children to be emotionally healthy and resilient.
“I took this course in the weeks leading up to my delivery. Usually this time is so focused on baby, their arrival, and their needs, that you tend to neglect your own needs as a mom. This class was great at helping me assess and navigate my thoughts during such an exciting, but stressful time.”– MamaWise Group Course Participant
The Wise Mothers and Babies course is an adaptation of the Mothers and Babies Program, an evidence-based postpartum depression intervention validated by several randomized controlled trials and currently housed at Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. The Wise Mothers and Babies Course includes Kate’s expertise garnered through working in the field of maternal mental health and in the Arab World for over 10 years.
Join the Next Wise Mothers and Babies Course
Best-suited for pregnant women, or mothers whose youngest child is under 12-months-old, the course is offered as either a group class or in a one-on-one format. The group class has a maximum of 10 participants that meets once a week, for two hours, for six consecutive weeks. The one-on-one program consists of nine sessions that take place once a week, for one hour, for nine consecutive weeks.
Both the group and individual formats include an individual assessment and orientation as well as two follow-ups after course completion.
The MamaWise Covid Primer
As we face the first global pandemic in this century we are presented with new and significant challenges and stressors. Having a child during this time, understandably brings a combination of fears and stressors. We have been asked to let go of many social traditions leading up to having a child and to replace them with social distancing and isolation. It’s important to remember you are not alone, and that all your emotions are valid.
MamaWise has developed The Covid Primer program and have added it to all our current courses to help you manage the stressors associated with becoming a mother or parent and parenting during the Covid-19 Global Pandemic in a safe and comfortable way through:
- Co-creating a covid-friendly birth plan with expectant moms
- Providing guidance on setting safe and realistic boundaries with family and friends to maintain safe social distancing for mom/parent and baby during pregnancy and the postpartum period
- Always providing up-to-date recommendations for pregnant women and infants from the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Providing updated local hospital policies regarding visitation, mask usage, and quarantine policies