Mindfulness is … the awareness that arises from paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non judgmentally.Jon Kabat-Zinn, Coming to Our Senses (2005)
Learning and Practicing Mindfulness with Meditation Can Help Us:
- Boost positive feelings
- Enjoy pleasant experiences in daily life
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and depression
- Notice what is happening inside us (thoughts, feelings & sensations)
- Notice what is happening around us (sights, smells, touches & sounds)
Adapted from the Mothers & Babies Program for MamaWise
Benefits: Mindfulness & Stress
Benefits from practicing mindfulness may include:
- Improved sleep
- Coping with stress and traumatic experiences
- Allowing you to be more connected with your baby
During times of increased overwhelm, worry, and fear people tend to experience more stress and anxiety.
Numerous rigorous studies have found that practicing mindfulness and meditation helps reduce stress.
A recent study has shown that practicing mindfulness has helped people experiencing stress related to the Covid-19 pandemic – arguably one of the most stressful experiences in recent history.
C. Behan Irish Journal of Psychological Medicine. Cambridge, (2020).